2010-10-03

The moment I've been waiting for

Today, I've focused on out freestyle again. To be honest I'm not happy with my saddle lately, I'm not sure it fits J and it puts me in a strange riding position that's why I do most of my riding bareback now. That's one of the reasons I'm focusing on freestyle, besides it's just so much fun.


Juliano was simply brilliant. I think it was the first time he was so responsive and thinking in canter. We could speed up and slow down, speed up and slow down again and this was all based on my suggestions - phase 1 with the string. For some this can be a very simple exercise but for us there was fast canter or no canter at all. Today Juliano was very focused on me and he delivered a great slow and rhythmic canter. One screw up on my part though. We were doing figure eights with a simple lead change in the middle. After few simple changes Juliano offered a flying lead change but I shut him down. I made him go back to a trot after he changed leads and I should have allowed him to continue with the canter. I should have trusted him that he will make it, instead I thought he is not going to change leads and he will only speed up. My bad! The good news is he offered and he wasn't upset after I didn't take it.





2 comments:

  1. Looks like you two had a great session. I tend to ride my mare bareback most of the time also because I have had trouble finding a saddle to fit her. Luckily she has a nice wide back and a smooth gait which helps. :0)
    We have also started riding with just the neck string and she is responding nicely to cues and the first time cantering with just the neck string was exhilarating!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riding only with a string and cantering is the greatest feeling in the World, isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete